Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Species, Variants & Collection Points
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Species, Variants & Collection Points Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa Species, Variants & Collection Points.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:51 AM
Galc

::Profile::
Keeping: Cyphotilapia Frontosa Blue Zaire Moba
Default Kapampa and Moba comparison photos

I know, I know you have seen so many times question which Zaire type to choose - and I won't ask you that as everyone has his own popular type and It is on me to decide which I prefer the most.

I make decision between Kapampa and Moba and I know I want the bluest darkest I can get and I try to figure out which one is that. So I thought someone here can share some photo of both types for comparison. I would appreciate that a lot - thanks.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:18 AM
sawboy
Site Advisor

Keeping: Burundi, Moba, Mpimbwe, Kitumba, Bismarck, Kampampa, Kipili

My Moba and Kitumba are more of a purple than blue. My Kapampa and Mpimbwe are my darkest blues.

GCCA treasurer
FAAS treasurer
ACA member
GCCA forum moderator
Aquatic-Terrors.com administrator
ACA forum moderator
Old 04-29-2017, 02:32 PM
Galc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawboy View Post
My Moba and Kitumba are more of a purple than blue. My Kapampa and Mpimbwe are my darkest blues.
Can you share some photos so I can compare them myself - I would really appreciate it.
I guess Kapampa is darker then Mpimbwe, right?
Old 04-29-2017, 02:42 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

I don't take many fish photos and half those I've posted have been to intentionally show how some lighten up in some moods more than showing off their best color. But here's a couple old ones of them showing good color. My original group is F1, I've grown up some of their offspring and no loss of quality/color for F2.

All taken without a good camera. Nothing done to enhance color, standard lighting, etc. Like I say, back in the day I was posting photos more to show differences between individuals in a group or color change according to mood and lighting, etc. than to show their best color.

no flash, natural sunlight

tank lights

old photo-- kaps vs Burundi-- extra Burundi I had in the tank at the time

old video (same extra Burundi is in the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJFpITQsCL8
Old 04-29-2017, 02:54 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

...Without getting into a philosophical discussion, with most types, color and quality of a particular group can vary depending on factors like when they were collected, etc.
Old 04-29-2017, 05:06 PM
Galc

neutrinoman, I am a bit confused. You mentioned earlier that Mobas are purple and Kapampas are blue, but from photos 1st and 3rd are blue and 2nd and 4th are purple and as I understand all are same group (except Burundi) - is that true?
All are nice, but if I would choose I would choose 1st and 3rd photo which I really like - are this kaps?
Old 04-29-2017, 05:46 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galc View Post
You mentioned earlier that Mobas are purple and Kapampas are blue
That wasn't me. Most of the time, though, my kaps are blue. They can vary in some moods, though, and can have some purple on occasion. Also, how they look on your screen compared to my screen or in person can vary.

Quote:
but from photos 1st and 3rd are blue and 2nd and 4th are purple and as I understand all are same group (except Burundi) - is that true?
All are nice, but if I would choose I would choose 1st and 3rd photo which I really like - are this kaps?
All same group, all kaps raised from fry, F1 descendants from a known group of some of the early kaps imported to the U.S.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:31 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Ah... I think I see the reason for the confusion... you'd asked Sawboy for photos... I posted photos but it was because of your thread title and initial post.

As far as kaps being darker than Mpimbwe, on average maybe but either one can go pretty dark. Depends on the fish and its mood. I'd describe the difference in color as Mpimbwe look more metallic and kaps more jewel toned, at least that's how it looks to me most of the time. But that can also depend on mood. Doesn't happen that often but over the years I've had kaps that can get in a mood where if I didn't know what I had and posted a photo just then to ask for opinions some people might guess they they were Tanz.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:04 AM
Galc

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrinoman View Post
Ah... I think I see the reason for the confusion... you'd asked Sawboy for photos... I posted photos but it was because of your thread title and initial post.
True, I am sorry for that.
But you anyway agree with Sawboy that in general Kaps are blue and Mobas are purple. As I am looking blue dark type I should most probably go for Kaps.
But it is interesting that fish can change their color by mode,... and that is why I would like to get some photo of Moba and Kaps for comparison if someone has.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:59 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

I think it depends with moba. For one thing, they've been collected from more than one location. You might want to check out Mikula also, they're a dark blue from what I've seen, those I've seen (photos, haven't seen them in person) have been really nice. Razzo had them and did a number of photo threads if you look them up.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Species, Variants & Collection Points