Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Breeding Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa breeding, stripping, tumbling and fry care.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:22 PM
plug

::Profile::
Keeping: Burundi
Default Burundi Holding

I have 8 fronts in my 125 gallon Tang Tank
It looks like 2 or possibly 3 of them are holing eggs

The largest, at least 5 inches, looks like her mouth is about to explode. The other smaller ones are not as obvious

My question is I am not sure what to do. The largest has had eggs before, but after a while they were gone

There is one large male in there, at least 6 inches long, and he is definitely the boss

I do not have a spare tank at this time large enough to put the female in. I have a 30 gallon grow out tank with 3 small black calvus and some hybrid venustus/dragon blood babies

If the front spits her fry in the tang tank, what are the chances for the babies? There are also 4 fairly large white calvus in there and 5 small yellow comps

I would love a chance to see some baby fronts, but not sure what my best course of action should be

also the largest female does not open her mouth so i cant tell if tyhe eggs in her mouth have hatched or not

I am not experienced with stripping a fish of fry, nor do I have an egg tumbler

The largest female has been holding at least 3 weeks. Not sure what to do here
Old 04-25-2016, 04:20 AM
leeac

If your females are indeed holding, you have a few options.

A. Learn how to strip the female. You can find several youtube videos on the topic, and it's fairly simple, as long as you plan it out, and have the ability to handle the fish with your hands. I use a toothpick to pry the mouth open while holding the female in a bucket of tank water, but you could do a search on the topic and find a variety of methods.

--- Stripping eggs - If you strip before week 2, there is a good chance you may stripping very early developed eggs, and would have to tumble them or provide some current for them in a protected environment so they can develop.

--- Stripping wigglers - I usually wait 3 weeks to strip to ensure the eggs have progressed to heads/tails. After this, I place them in a hanging side fry container within the main tank to let them grow out a little. You can probably pick one of these up at your local pet shop.

B. Let the female spit in the tank. With comps and calvus in the tank, the fry are almost certainly goners unless they can find a good hiding spot for several months.

C. Purchase a larger tank to isolate the female so she can spit without tank mates.

Keep us posted, and good luck!
Old 04-27-2016, 09:11 PM
plug

Thanks for the reply

Since I have no room for any other tanks, would putting her in a 10 gallon tank be too small of a tank for her until she spits her fry?

I feel time is running out
Her mouth and jowls are huge and I am sure the babies will be spit soon

If a 10 gallon tank is too small for her to be put in until she spits her fry, I may have to try stripping but am worried I may hurt the fish
Old 04-27-2016, 10:19 PM
Handyjoe

Keeping: Moba & Few other Tangs

10 gallon is way too small for a front. If you do decide to strip her, use a large paper clip and bend it into an 8 shape. That way no sharp point anywhere that may hurt her accidentally. That's how I do it. Just a suggestion.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:11 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

10 gal is too small to keep her in. Would also defeat your purpose in that a female would probably find it so confining and stressful that she's likely swallow or spit eggs anyway. Which leads to the one way you might use it, which is to strip or get her to release her eggs.

Male at six inches-- he may well be too young to successfully fertilize the eggs, unless he was a slow grower (assuming 6" is accurate and you're sure he's male). Typically, males mature at more like 3 years or older and he'd normally be larger by then, more like 8-10 inches. Females can produce eggs at a younger age than males can fertilize them. Can't absolutely judge age by size, since they grow slow for some people, but if you keep finding you're not getting results it's a likely reason.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:08 PM
leeac

I have used a 10 gallon to temporarily separate individual fronts for medicating. In a pinch, I think a 10g would be ok if needed for a 5" front, but only for the short term, and not long term.

If you do use the 10g, make sure you have plenty of aeration/surface agitation from an air stone or sponge. Larger fronts can use up oxygen pretty quickly. Be prepared for some initial thrashing, so take out any sharp objects, rocks. Keep something heavy on top of the lid so it doesn't jump out. I would also keep it partially covered so the front doesn't get spooked and start hitting the tank walls.

Also, be prepared for your front to accidentally spit the fry in the net while you're transporting it. Or to spit soon after it hits the 10g tank.

Once you get fry, if you want to save them, I would separate them from the mother as soon as you can, and not leave them in the 10g tank with the mother. As NM said, in a confined space like that, who knows what would happen.

Good luck, and let's see some photos when you get a chance...
Old 04-28-2016, 09:23 PM
plug

Thanks all for the replies
I think I will attempt stripping for the first time Saturday...hopefully she will still have the fry in her mouth

I am a little scared but will give it a try and will post pics assuming all goes well
Old 04-30-2016, 12:14 PM
plug

Well I stripped my female Burundi and out came 27 perfectly formed babies
I cannot believe how easy it all went. No issues, no problems. Caught the mother easily. She did not struggle much, and the babies came out easily

I will post some pics (if I can figure it out on this site)
Old 04-30-2016, 12:26 PM
mandy59

Keeping: Mpimbwe

That's great! Well done. I wouldn't be brave enough to do that.I hope all goes well for you and your fronts. Pics, when you have time.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:29 PM
plug

New Home

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding