Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tankmates
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Tankmates Discussion of compatible Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa tankmates.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:04 AM
Galc

::Profile::
Keeping: Cyphotilapia Frontosa Blue Zaire Moba
Default Tankmate's prefered size

What is minimum prefered tankmate size for 5,5" Mpimwe's?
I first time saw Gnathochromis pfefferi which are very rare here. And because they are
only 1,5" big I am afraid they could fit into 5,5" Mpimbwe's mouth. What do you think or what is your experience?
I would rather buy bigger, but unfortunatelly
Gnathochromis pfefferi are very rare here and by time I will need bigger and bigger tankmate's - so I am affraid this could be my last chance to add Gnathochromis pfefferi to my Mpimbwe's tank. What do you think?

Old 01-26-2013, 11:31 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Are the mpimbwes wild caught or tank raised? Have they had any tankmates before? Tank size?

IMO it's possible you could keep them together at this point but not guaranteed. IME cyphos are generally tolerant of other fish in a tank or may ignore them, including smaller fish, but now and then some has one that eats another fish. They're certainly capable of it if they want to.

If it was me I'd like to see the gnathos a little bigger before putting them together, more juvies than babies, maybe two inches, at least. So if I could put them in another tank to grow a bit, I'd do that, but if there's just the one tank available what I'd do is make a divider in the tank and give the gnathos a space to themselves for a while. This would let them grow a bit, let your mpimbwes get used to their presence, and perhaps give you some idea of their reaction to them. Or, at least, if I wanted to try them out and see, I'd be prepared to move them or divide the tank if the mpbimbwe's reaction to them worried me.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Galc

Keeping: Cyphotilapia Frontosa Blue Zaire Moba

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrinoman View Post
Are the mpimbwes wild caught or tank raised? Have they had any tankmates before? Tank size?
I have 5,5" wild Mpimbwe's male and female and the rest are 12 F1 Mpimbwe's which are at 4,5". I also have 6 Altolamprologus Compressiceps at about 2,5-3" which are just fine wth them.

Thanks for your fast reply - I did read your reply by phone and took decission to wait for another opportunity to get at least 3-4" Gnathochromis pfefferi - I hope I am going to have another opportunity in near future with bigger Gnathochromis pfefferi.

I was thinking it would be good to have a topic where cypho's keepers would write what fish and at what size was eaten by what size of cypho. I think it would be good to have a track on what should not be kept with them.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Generally, you might expect wild fish might be more predatory than tank raised, although this can vary with individual fish. On the other hand, wild fronts don't prey on gnathos that I've ever heard of. Their natural prey is typically reported to be cyprochromis.

Closest to a thread like you mentioned is we've had a number of threads where people give their opinions/experience on tankmates that work and ones that don't (similar to this sticky here). As you can probably see, not everyone agrees on the subject.

Otherwise, there's just individual threads where people say their front ate this or that, occasionally including decent sized fish like adult peacocks, plecos, etc. that most people have never had trouble with. Or threads where people say they've kept them together with this or that with no problem. So there's an element of individuality in fronts and in particular tank setup... or maybe just how hungry they are ... that makes it hard to guarantee a particular fish will or won't work.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tankmates