Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Breeding Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa breeding, stripping, tumbling and fry care.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Dimizeg2g

::Profile::
Keeping: WC Mikula

Great news,congrats!
Old 03-07-2016, 07:00 AM
UnclePeter

So we are approaching the 1 week mark and she is still holding. Should I strip and what sort of development should I expect to see? Any advice on stripping fronts will be appreciated
Old 03-07-2016, 09:07 AM
STEAKBELLY

Keeping: WC Mikula, WC White Chatika Calv., gold occies, Nanna Anomalas, Brevis, WC Blk, Calv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnclePeter View Post
So we are approaching the 1 week mark and she is still holding. Should I strip and what sort of development should I expect to see? Any advice on stripping fronts will be appreciated
Great news! Very exciting stuff.....BUT.....DON't be like me and get overly excited and expect a batch of 60 healthy fry! expect the worst and hope for the best. youtube has a bunch of great videos of stripping fronts. Take your time and HAVE FUN!
Old 08-21-2016, 05:32 PM
ujwaldignified

Any updates?
Old 08-24-2016, 01:33 AM
punman

I say let her hold awhile. Stripping after 24 days usually results in fry that are okay on their own (in their own tank). By then they are not too heavy in the belly and swim somewhat. Waiting a month after spawn might be safer if you can stand the wait.
Fish tanks - betcha can't have just one!
Old 08-24-2016, 05:27 AM
STEAKBELLY

Keeping: WC Mikula, WC White Chatika Calv., gold occies, Nanna Anomalas, Brevis, WC Blk, Calv.

U P D A T E S ?????
Old 09-21-2016, 06:49 PM
A1_F1_Frontosa

Keeping: Mpimbwe Gibberosa, Mikula Gibberosa

My 2 cents

Stripping at 14 days and putting them in strainer or tumbler ( I like strainers) will usually result in a 100% survival rate

Stripping at 21 days when they still have bellys can actually go directly in a bare bottom tank.

Typically I like to strip at 11-14 days and put them in a strainer resting across a 10 gallon tank with an airstone under it with very soft current. The advantage of the strainer besides a bit of space to swim is you can easily wet your finger and dip it in spirulina powder to feed them directly in the strainer. They will usually take to it immediately, and after a week of that, they will go to your finger anywhere in the tank after you release them. It's actually he cleanest way to feed them since it is very controlled. They will clean your finger. Even when you switch them to pellets or a shrimp mix you can still feed them this way with spirulina till they are about 2 1/2 inches.. you can go longer, but their teeth start to hurt a bit ;)
Old 09-27-2016, 08:19 PM
UnclePeter

Sorry for the delay! Didn't strip at all. Had 15 fry back in may. Gave 5 to a neighbor and took 10 with me when i moved. Unfortunately I lost a few fry in the move. I have 4 F1 fry looking for a good home. Free. Pick up only to some one that has the ability to care for them. I recently had another successful spawn and have another 10 or so at 1". Females are always holding in this group. If i stripped I'd need breeders to keep up with the fry. Will post a video shortly.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:32 PM
UnclePeter

https://youtu.be/4CMWO24w5KM

Oldest fry are about 3". Come get them! Free F1! A little sneak at my Tropheus tank at the end.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:37 PM
UnclePeter

Again sorry for the delay. Between moving and renovations and work it's been a hectic couple months. Took me 10 hrs to move my tanks. Luckily didn't lose a fish and i was going from well to city water.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding