Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Breeding Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa breeding, stripping, tumbling and fry care.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:51 PM
tony

::Profile::
Default Natural Holding?

I have a group of Moba and wanted to ask if any others have had any success with NATURAL HOLDING as opposed to stripping. I really do not want to strip my females.

If stripping is the only way, then it aint gonna happen. I am hoping that some females will learn after a few tries.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:55 PM
tony

if stripping is the only option, how on earth do they manage in the wild?

my group of about 16 is in an 8ft tank with lots of caves and cover.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:50 PM
kewl_front
Veteran Member

In my opinion, if you had a really big tank then it should be fine and the female should hold full-term - not always but really good chance. I had a female that caught me by surprise because the frys were almost swimming but that was in a 300 gallon tank. I think that the smaller tanks causes the moms to swallow the frys due to stress. Just think, if you had a 10,000 gallon tank/pond, the female could mate and then take off somewhere safe. I also know that it had been done for in smaller tanks as well - really depends on how well the group gets along together..

Nice size group and tank size. good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:31 PM
fisher
Site Advisor

Keeping: wc moba, wc kitumba, wc chumbu, wc lupota, wc moliro, wc kigoma

You might find these threads interesting. (I did. lol)

http://www.cyphos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31488

http://www.cyphos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31509
Old 04-13-2015, 10:31 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

I do it. I've done it both ways, letting female release into the tank or stripping free swimming fry after @ 4 weeks. Either way, going to take longer to get fry, most likely. Pretty common for young cichlids of some species to take a few tries to figure out the whole process and because of the older age at which cyphotilapia breed and longer intervals between spawns the learning process for them can be fairly extended and some females may get it and some not. Then again, the right female may figure it out the first time, so you never know.

To let the female release fry in the main tank I create a tangle of small driftwood branches, rocks, etc. to create a safe haven for them. IME a female that holds long enough to release fry is also smart enough to look for a safe place to release them and may also watch over the spot for a while. It's all about how you arrange it to keep them inaccessible and partially hidden. My group isn't especially predatory so this works for me and it's entertaining to watch the fry in their little thicket of branches. Even at that, fry will get increasingly bold with time and venture further and further out for food, so it pays to keep a close eye on them and net them out to their own tank (or you could divide them off to an end of the tank) once they start doing this.

You could probably include flower pots, pvc pipes, etc, but none of that ever goes in my tanks, same for pirate ships, blue gravel, etc.

Another way to approach it is to put the female into a maternity tank and leave her to her own devices until she releases fry and/or loses interest in them.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:44 PM
Razzo
Elite Member

Keeping: None

Really good input so far. In a glass box, female Zaires don't normally hold to term. Could be a mirad of reasons. Only the Lord knows all :-)

I have a theory called the "Blue Berry Muffin" theory. I'm at Dunkin Donuts and I call my wife and ask her if she wants anything. Always dieting, she says no thanks. I bring her home a blue berry muffin and set it on the counter and she resists for a time. After a few hours, that muffin doesn't stand a chance

In the wild, a female Cypho can get away from the crowd and remove herself from the presence and temptation of food.

Now, why do Burundi females hold to term significantly more often than Zaire females??? They are in small glass boxes too???

We all have ideas but I think there are a couple things we just haven't figured out yet.

BTW: credit for the Blue Berry Muffin theory goes to my wife. She really came up with that analogy.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Jeff

Keeping: WC Moba

I'm liking the muffin / nuffin theory, but they often give up when there are no muffins in sight. My Kigs held fine, my pims hold fine (muffins or not) and I have been fortunate enough to have one Moba hold full term, but that girl hasn't bred again since. I would say let them hold for the first three times and then if there is no positive result, strip away, but IME, if they don't hold, the eggs are not fertilized, so no point stripping anyway. I know that this is not true for all keepers though. One day this mystery might be solved.
Old 04-15-2015, 02:11 PM
Ptran

Keeping: Moba

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
if stripping is the only option, how on earth do they manage in the wild?

my group of about 16 is in an 8ft tank with lots of caves and cover.
8 footer is very nice size Tony, but nowhere compared to the lake.

In the lake, she can go in hiding somewhere and hold to term, then spit them out without worry about getting snacked by always hungry tankmates.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Breeding