Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Rolex

::Profile::
Wink Hello, about tank size

I am a newbie in frontasa keeping and before that I had some years in African Tang cichild and also some years of Japan ranchu keeping. Quite determined to go for fronts now and is very happy with my 4 fronts - the biggest ~ 7 - 8 , plus 4 smaller ~ 5". I know the alpha fronts can be aggressive but is happy to see a gentle alpha in my small tank in 120 x 50 x 40 (high).

My very objective is not about breeding my fronta but to enjoy the beauty of fronts when rhwy eat, swim, interactions, acceptable degree of bullying by the big alpha (but the alpha is really gentle most of the time).

I spent quite some time to read the relevant posta about rank size and adult fronts size but I still want to ask in my case, can I still keep them in my 120 if my 4 fronts can remain in this kind of hormony situation? Appreciate your comments
Old 05-16-2017, 09:45 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

Are those dimensions in inches or centimeters? Saying it's a small tank leads me to think you're referring to centimeters, but the fish are listed in inches. 120 centimeters would be a small tank for fronts, might work for a while if the fish continue to cooperate, but probably not when they get more size to them.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:56 AM
Rolex

Ohh sorry, that is cm. I hope they can have more discipline and I will keep a close eye first.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:50 PM
Rolex

I can have an immediate remedy by making a higher tank say ~ 55 cm (current is 40cm). Would this possibly alleviate the aggression of my alpha to certain extent? The maximum possible limit is 150cm ( providing that I can convince my wife which is not likely as the current set up only in place for a few years : p )
Old 05-16-2017, 10:52 PM
Rolex

My alpha is still quite reasonably behaved and kind of gentle now to the 3 : )
Old 05-17-2017, 08:40 AM
dannyt

Keeping: 125 gal 9 F1 Kapampa and friends

The bottom line is your tank is not an ideal tank size for sub-adult to adult Cypho's bud. It is fine for growing out fry but a 120x60x60 (cm) is really the minimum size for a small group of sub-adult to adult fish. Yours still have some growing to do for sure but the question is what are you going to do if/when the alpha starts to do harm to the others?
Old 05-18-2017, 11:58 PM
Rolex

Thanks Dannyt. Very good advice, but I can do nothing now : (
The Following User Says Thank You to Rolex For This Useful Post:
dannyt (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 10:00 AM
neutrinoman
Administrator

So, as I often say, a lot depends on your individual fish and especially your alpha. There are extra gentle alphas, I've had a couple. One would even cruise the tank and keep order, didn't allow much bickering in the group. These fish can vary a lot in temperament, so you can make recommendations based on average, but you can't always predict how a particular group will act. Ideally, you'd want a larger tank but if your current tank works, it works, though in the long term you may need to make an adjustment. A test will come whenever they try to spawn, which might change the dynamics of your group.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:09 AM
Rolex

Thanks Neutrinoman. I learnt from your invaluable sharing. That shorten my experience curve and make me gain more confidence to embrace the unknown future of my group. Fronts is truly amazing that beyond my understanding in terms of their beauty, behaviour, interactions with each others and also with me. They are also so sensitivity even to subtle changes which is so much different than other fishes that I kept before.
An excellent website for Fronts keeper : p
Old 05-20-2017, 07:27 AM
dannyt

Keeping: 125 gal 9 F1 Kapampa and friends

So Rolex, what variant of front's do you have anyway? Do you have any pics or vid you can post of them? Cheers mate 🍻

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment