Home Videos Affiliates Sponsors Chat TOS
Go Back   Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment
Forums Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment Discussion of Cyphotilapia frontosa & gibberosa tanks, filters, heaters, lighting, UV and other equipment.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:36 AM
Savannah_az

::Profile::
Default Qt/nursery tank for fry

I had the opportunity to pick up some fry (about 1.25" frontosa) for an awesome price, current tank inhabitants are about 2-3.25". Catch is their coming monday so I have a few options. Put them in the tank? Quarantine? If so my first issue is they are coming in 7 days, I ordered a small sponge filter off amazon that will be here tomorrow. Is seven days enough time to seed if I run it in the new tank? The third option I can think of (nursery) is to buy a small 10-15 gallon tank, drill it and run a powerhead from my main tank into that and let it overflow back into the main tank. What's the best option? Or something I didnt think of? And again, is seven days enough to seed a small sponge filter in the main tank?
Old 02-28-2017, 12:42 AM
fisher
Site Advisor

Keeping: wc moba, wc kitumba, wc chumbu, wc lupota, wc moliro, wc kigoma

The sponge will seed fine in 7 days. No need to drill a tank imo, just fill a 10-15g with water from your main tank and add the seeded sponge filter. Do normal water changes after that and you'll be fine, I have a room full of these set ups.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:45 AM
fisher
Site Advisor

I would probably wait to add them until they're over 2" or so.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:56 AM
Savannah_az

After quarantine would it not be a bad idea to drill and connect the two just for piece of mind with better filtration until they reach 2"?
Old 02-28-2017, 06:23 AM
STEAKBELLY

Keeping: WC Mikula, WC White Chatika Calv., gold occies, Nanna Anomalas, Brevis, WC Blk, Calv.

IMO theres no need...the sponge will be seeded just fine and you will be using tank water from the established tank....if you're looking for piece of mind no matter what anyone says LOL....get a bottle of quick start and supplement with that....some don't like using it but most would have to admit that it works...I was in a pinch once and used it in a brand new 40g breeder. no seeding at all!!!... for 6 adult Calvus and had no issues
Old 03-01-2017, 12:12 AM
Dieselphil

Keeping: 140 gallon- 7 F1 Mikula, yellow, black, zebra Calvus, 5 synos petricola

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEAKBELLY View Post
IMO theres no need...the sponge will be seeded just fine and you will be using tank water from the established tank....if you're looking for piece of mind no matter what anyone says LOL....get a bottle of quick start and supplement with that....some don't like using it but most would have to admit that it works...I was in a pinch once and used it in a brand new 40g breeder. no seeding at all!!!... for 6 adult Calvus and had no issues
+1 on the supplements for a piece of mind. I use Seachem Stability personally with good results. Also I stick small spunges in the filters of my big tanks so I always have a seeded spunge if I need it. You can always find space in your canister filter or hob filter to throw a small sponge in to.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:47 AM
fisher
Site Advisor

Ah that stuff is all junk, don't buy it, it'll kill your fish! hahaha
Just kidding Phil...just giving you and Jorge a little guff.

I've never used it but I've heard very good things about these types of products.
Savannah_az (03-01-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Savannah_az

I'm not gunna lie, after reading that whole thread with the supplement debate I'm now concerned about throwing some of that in! I may actually put the fry in a spare 75 so for the piece of mind do have the extra water.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:45 PM
STEAKBELLY

Keeping: WC Mikula, WC White Chatika Calv., gold occies, Nanna Anomalas, Brevis, WC Blk, Calv.

Whatever you're comfortable with...As they say "there's more than one way to skin a cat"....
Old 03-02-2017, 08:09 PM
Savannah_az

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEAKBELLY View Post
Whatever you're comfortable with...As they say "there's more than one way to skin a cat"....
Hahaha such the wrong person to say that too! But before I derail the thread on that I think im just going to dig out a bunch of poly in the wet dry + the sponge and i have two extra sponges just floating around the tank because why not so hopefully ill be good.

Cyphos.com > Cyphotilapia Forums > Cyphotilapia Tanks & Equipment